Oakland School began as a one-room school built in 1900 and was called Woods School. The original school was replaced in 1920 by a two-room wooden structure located about one-half mile from the original one. The new school was named Oakland and was located on the Pipers Gap Highway, less than a quarter mile from the present brick structure.
The school population outgrew the two-room structure and from 1948 through 1953, Oakland Methodist Church housed the overflow. This overflow, the consolidation of area one-room rural schools, and the purchase of buses to transport the children to a central location, brought about the construction of Oakland Elementary School on the present site.
Oakland Elementary School, when first constructed in 1953, consisted of seven classrooms, a library with workroom, a cafeteria, and a multipurpose room with a seating capacity of 250, a principal's suite, a clinic room, and a teacher's lounge-workroom. In 1968 five additional classrooms were added to again relieve overcrowding. In addition to these facilities, there are four basement rooms which have been used as classrooms, clubrooms, and as play rooms when needed.
The school population included elementary school pupils from areas once served by Elkhorn, Farmville, Coleman, High Point, Blue Ridge, Crooked Creek, Coal Creek and the former Oakland School.
Oakland originally served children in grades one through seven. Eighth grade was taught in the school from 1956 to 1962 to relieve overcrowded conditions at Woodlawn High School. In 1969 a building program in Carroll County and reorganization of the school population into one consolidated senior high school and four intermediate schools made Oakland a school serving grades one through six. A special education class and a headstart class were added. From 1973 until 1993, the school served students in kindergarten through grade six. At the end of the 1981-82 school term, the special education program was moved to Woodlawn Intermediate School. In 1993 several Carroll County schools were closed and school boundary lines were redefined. The sixth grade at Oakland was moved to Woodlawn School and Oakland's student enrollment and staff doubled with the consolidation. An art teacher and a physical education teacher were added to the staff. With the present facilities, the school offers a comprehensive program, which provides a variety of learning experiences for all Oakland students.
Oakland Elementary School
Jude Raffeinner, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
CCPS Privacy Statement
NCLB Parent Notification Letter